Spring is just around the corner and the dive season is about to really get rolling. Time to shake the dust off your dive gear and get wet. A quick equipment check before getting in is required.
- Inflate your BC, make sure it holds air and the inflator is not sticking.
- Check mask and fin straps for wear and replace if necessary.
- Ensure tanks have a current hydro and visual inspection.
- Inspect regulators for wear on mouthpieces and hoses. Ensure that regulators are not free flowing and breathing smoothly. Check second stages to be sure they are free of any debris or dust.
- If there are any doubts about the functionality of your gear bring it in for professional servicing.
After checking your gear, it’s time to ensure that your dive skills are up to par with a few easy dives off the beach. Alternatively, take advantage of the free refresher offered with all boat dives during the month of April and May on Reef Encounters dives to the Keramas and surrounding dive sites. If you are an experienced diver and looking to make diving more than a hobby, professional level courses are being offered this month for divemaster and instructor, contact Reef Encounters for details. Instructor courses are open to all agency divemasters and have very flexible schedules, so your busy work or military schedule will not conflict with your training. Come make some extra money this summer teaching others to do what you love to do.
Reef Encounters will also be offering up adventure dives starting at the end of April for those experienced divers looking for something different. We will be exploring the sea mounts south of the Keramas hunting for large pelagics and drifting the channels of the Keramas looking for sharks. We will also be looking for members of the Okinawa wreck divers team which will be working on locating and mapping the wrecks of the USS Longshaw, LST 447, the Midori Maru and others around Okinawa. Many of these dives will require advanced and technical certifications, classes are being offered now to qualify you to join these expeditions.