If American Village had a signature dish, it would surely be a creation of Chef Katsuhiro “Hiro” Tamashiro. For over 25yrs, this former Hollywood chef has perfected Amer-Japan culinary fusion. The culinary style ranges offers traditional American and Japanese dishes (steak, crispy fried chicken and sashimi), to a wide-variety of sushi rolls using soy paper (instead of seaweed) and tasty condiments to please both Western and Asian palettes alike.
The restaurant has an extensive bar menu which features cocktails, local beer, wine, champagne, awamori, and sake which compliments the popular hash brown chicken, and shrimp stick appetizers. I encourage diners to ask Chef for a sake pairing recommendation.
The restaurant is open for both lunch and dinner. Wifi is available. The atmosphere is friendly and inviting, making it a casual place to unwind with a cocktail and appetizer and retreat from the hustle and bustle of American Village. The outdoor patio faces the East China Sea, a perfect spot to watch passing yachts come and go from Chatan Harbor. The patio views rivals that of the neighboring, Centle Genda wedding venue and Hilton Hotel and would be prime seating for the hotel’s (summertime) weekend fireworks display. If the beautiful waterfront location isn’t reason enough, the food is sublime and the presentation is pure artistry.
Customers must commit to ordering the ‘Soy tower,’ a type of Maki style sushi and with Chef’s artistry is made to stand vertically. The roll features perfect ahi with thinly sliced avocado, which was crisp and tasty.
If you’re not up for dining outdoors request a table inside, or for optimal viewing of the Chef’s masterpieces’ grab a seat at the sushi bar which faces the beautiful, exposed kitchen. The staff is friendly, attentive and bilingual (speaking both Japanese and English). The restaurant welcomes families, solo diners, couples and small groups. Reservations are recommended, especially for larger groups and weekend service. If you’re celebrating a special occasion make sure to notify your server- as the dessert, is not to be missed.
English Menu & English Speaking Staff
Yen, Credit Cards & Dollars
Closed in the afternoon from 2-5pm on Mon-Fri (closed Wednesday)
- English menu? Yes
- English friendly? Yes, all staff
- Parking? Yes, ample
- Yen- yes
- Credit Card- yes
- Dollar- yes
- Price range $-$$$
- Opening hours 11:00AM – 2:00PM, 5:00PM – 10:00PM
- Reservations- recommended
- Kids menu? No, but kid friendly
- High chair? yes
- Free Wifi? Yes
- Owner name- friendly owner and staff
- When did the restaurant open? April
- Restaurant concept? Waterfront sushi
- VIBE? “Perfect spot for a…” (lunch or dinner date)
- What makes this place special? Waterfront in American Village, beautiful sunset view
- Any favorite venders? Fresh fish
- Best thing on the menu? Soy tower
- Special Awards? Recognitions? Yes
- Prettiest thing in the restaurant? Beautiful open face kitchen, beautiful culinary presentation
- Prettiest thing to eat? The dessert
- Prettiest thing to drink? I had saki
- Any affiliations (alternate locations, sister businesses)- moved from Los Angeles
Sushi on La Cienaga
Social Media Links
Sushi on La Cienaga
Japan, 〒904-0115 Okinawa-ken, Nakagami-gun, Chatan-chō, Mihama, ５１−３ フェリシダーデ